Each member, upon being elected or re elected to membership of a Member Body of the ANKC shall be bound by the
ANKC Code of Practice subject to each States relevant legislation.
1. A member shall not knowingly or recklessly misrepresent the ANKC or the member's Member Body.
2. A member shall not engage in any behaviour that is contrary to the standards accepted by the community.
3. A member shall display good sportsmanship and conduct at all times so as to reflect credit upon themselves,
the ANKC and the member's Member Body.
4. Members shall constantly strive to improve their knowledge of their chosen breed or breeds, and their knowledge
of the requirements for the care, welfare and betterment of dogs.
5. Members shall ensure that all dogs under their control are properly controlled, housed, fed, watered, exercised and
receive veterinary care as required.
6. A member who leaves a dog owned by them in the care of another person shall remain ultimately responsible for that dog.
7. A member shall take all appropriate lawful measures to assist a dog in distress.
8. A member shall positively enhance the reputation of dog breeders and owners by ensuring that dogs owned by the member
are not a danger or nuisance to the community.
9. A member shall not participate in nor support any activity in that involves cruelty or damage to animals, excluding legal hunting activities.
10. A member shall not dispose of dogs owned or bred by the member to a pound or animal refuge.
11. A member shall breed primarily for the purpose of improving the quality and / or working ability of the breed in accordance
with the breed standard, and not specifically for the pet or commercial market.
12. A member shall not breed with a bitch unless the bitch has reached adequate maturity for that breed as determined by
the member's Member Body.
13. A member shall not breed a bitch causing it to whelp more than twice in eighteen months without the prior approval
of the member's Member Body.
14. A member shall not breed a bitch causing it to whelp more than six times without prior veterinary certification of fitness
for further breeding, and without prior approval of the member's Member Body.
15. A member shall not permit any of that member's pure bred dogs to be mated to a dog of a different breed, to a cross bred dog,
to an unregistered dog of the same breed, or to a dog not on the Main Register without the prior approval of the members Member Body.
16. A member shall take responsible action to reduce the incidence of hereditary diseases in accordance with
the ANKC Code of Practice for Hereditary Diseases.
17. A member shall not, within Australia, sell or otherwise transfer from that member's care any puppy
under eight  weeks of age without the approval of the member's Member Body.
18. A member shall not export a puppy under the age of eleven  weeks, or such greater age permitted under the
livestock import requirements of the country to which the puppy is being exported.
19. A member shall not knowingly sell a dog to any person residing in an overseas country known to be involved in the utilisation
of dogs for the meat trade without first satisfying the member's Member Body that the purchaser is a member of an ANKC recognised
canine controlling body in the overseas country. The member and purchaser must further acknowledge in writing to the members
Member Body that the intention of the sale is for the improvement of the quality of that breed in the overseas country, and not for any other purpose.
20. A member shall ensure that persons acquiring dogs from that member understand the requirements for the care, welfare and
responsible ownership of the dog, and that they have the time and facilities, e.g. adequate fences, sufficient room and proper shelter,
to fulfil their responsibilities.
21. A breeder shall be expected to maintain reasonable contact with the purchasers of dogs from that breeder and to offer
continued advice and reasonable assistance.
22. A member shall register all puppies bred (excluding those breeds listed in ANKC Regulation Part 6, Section 6.2 whose specific colours
precludes them from being registered on any Register) by that member that are living at the date of registration. Such registration must
include all puppies from the litter on the one litter registration application form and must be applied for within eighteen  months of the date of whelping.
23. A member shall provide to all recipients of dogs sold or otherwise disposed of by that member, written details of:
A) The breed characteristics;
B) Vaccination record and / or requirements;
C) Responsible dog ownership information; and
D) All documentation required by the member's Member Body.
24. A member shall not incorrectly describe nor knowingly misrepresent the characteristics of a breed.
25. A member shall ensure that all dogs sold or disposed or by that member are in the best possible state of health.
Where a dog with a health issue or disability is disposed of the member must obtain from the recipient written and signed
acknowledgement of the condition of the dog.
26. A member shall not:
A) Sell or dispose of a dog to a commercial pet wholesaler or retail pet shop unless they are accredited by the Pet Industry
Association of Australia Limited (PIAA).
B) Allow a dog owned by that member to be given as a prize or donation or to be auctioned.
27. A member who provides or makes available a dog for use in a film, advertisement, promotion, or any media or public
display must ensure that:
A) The dog is portrayed in a manner consistent with its breed characteristics and temperament as described in the Standard for that breed;
B) The dog is presented in a manner that is unlikely to create a negative reaction to dogs generally or that breed in particular and
that if there is any likelihood of a negative impression, this is at the same time corrected through the development of a story
line that presents the dog or breed in a balanced manner.
28. A member shall not indulge in false or misleading advertising relating to the conformation, characteristics or performance of that member's dog.
29. A member shall not misrepresent nor malign the conformation, characteristics or performance of another members dog.
Code of Ethics
© Copyright Australian Bullarab Breeders Association 2007
Australian Bull Arabs Breeders Association